September 26, 2008

WE ARE THE MACHINE

Web 2.0 is daunting but fascinating and I'm really excited to see how libraries will incorporate this new technology. In my mind nothing can never really replace face to face interaction customer service, and actual books but the possibilities are still very exciting.

The aspects of web 2.0 I would really like to see added to library systems is programs such as LibraryThing (which I absolutely love) and tags. Tags are great because they put the power in the hands of the user/ordinary person.

I do think that changing existing library systems and educating patrons will be a challenge, but the usefulness in web 2.0 technology for access to library services and in enhancing these services will be worth it.
We are the machine!

1 comment:

NSL Training Support Team said...

Have you seen Auckland City Libraries'new catalogue search? It incorporates tags.There has been talk about our catalogue having Library Thing- maybe one day...